James Victore, Designer and Adviser, tweeted, “The first rule of business is fun.”
We aren’t telling you to shirk your responsibilities, but we are saying that dry and boring business makes for dry and boring product. As a small business owner, you have the unique opportunity to inject personality, fun, and purpose into every decision you make. This concept absolutely crosses over into the realm of branding, marketing and web design.
Blog about the things that make you curious.
Post to Facebook the things you’re passionate about.
Take photos of what makes you happy and put them on Instagram.
Wrap your branding in enthusiasm.
Each aspect of marketing and design represents a facet of your business that first began as one of your ideas. When you represent your ideas online, it should be with your own unique kind of flare. But in order to do this, you need to be genuinely having fun.
Here are some ideas for incorporating joy into your work routine…
- Take a break or two throughout the day to talk to someone you work with, discuss your hobbies, or brainstorm a new idea.
- Hop on over to a local restaurant or coffee shop and try something completely new.
- Have a work meeting outside.
- Blog about something that makes you happy.
- Take photos of your employees doing their job well or trying something new.
- Try fun team-building exercises.
- Take colorful treats to share at work.
- Schedule an afternoon to decorate your workspace with things that inspire you.
- Do something nice for a client or employee.
- Bring your pet to work.
- Hold a group brainstorming session for ways to make your business grow.
- Turn up your favorite music.
- Take a team selfie.
There are many other things you could add to this list, but notice that it’s possible to use any of the above material on your social media sites! Think hard, work hard, but let it all begin with joy.