Most creative personalities hate the thought of being shackled to a schedule. Being committed to a list of tasks can cause many of us to hyperventilate. If you’re raging against the idea of a schedule, planner, or structure, take a seat. We’re going to talk about just how much more time you’ll have for fun by planning out a few simple tasks.

Schedule your social media
We are on our phones enough without having to worry about posting to social media for work. Schedule out a time once or twice a month to sit down and manage 80% of your posting. Leave the other 20% to spontaneity. By doing this one simple task, you’ll save yourself quite a bit of time, energy and worry. Bonus points for those who pick out monthly themes.

Schedule a rest day
If you feel like you are constantly working and have little time for rest, you probably are. It is better to schedule a day or two a week for rest than it is to horse-around when you should be working. Scheduling blocks of no-work days improves the quality of your rest and gives you the opportunity to completely unplug from work. Commit to not doing anything work related on these days. Plan them out a week or a month in advance and stick to it!

Take time for work-week prep
It’s best to do this on Sunday evening or whatever the day before your work week is. Take time to review all of the things on your to-do list and prioritize. Look at your appointments. Do some meal-planning. Throw in a load of laundry. Portion out some snacks for yourself to keep in the fridge. Been procrastinating on house work? Tackle a couple of chores. This habit sets your week up for success and gives you a clear overview of how your week is going to go. For instance, if you have a day jam-packed with appointments, you can plan on eating take-out or getting up early to start the crock pot. If you have a deadline to meet, you can make that task first priority before the things that aren’t as urgent. This habit will also help keep you from double booking yourself because you’ll know exactly what your week looks like.

Schedule a time for blog writing and web maintenance
Web maintenance and blog writing are tasks easy to postpone because you have “run out of time” or “don’t feel like it”. Instead of procrastinating and then regretting it later, schedule a block of time 1-3 times a month to catch up on all of the web tasks you’ve been putting off.

Have a system for repetitive tasks
If you’re a photographer, create a workflow for what happens between shooting the photos and delivering them to your client. If you’re a web designer, create a system that helps you divide your work into specific tasks. Set personal deadlines for these repetitive tasks. For instance, a photographer could set a 2-3 week editing deadline for each session. A web designer could set an 8-10 week deadline per website. Whatever your tasks are, having a workflow will help keep your work consistent and efficient.

There are so many other things you could do to help make your life more organized or productive. But by simply implementing these 5 tasks, it’ll clear up not just the time you take procrastinating, but also the time you’ve spent complaining about your tasks. You’ll have more time for coffee and chatting, more time to spend outdoors, and more time to spend with family. A little organization goes a long way!